Chester, PA

Chester, Pa., c. h. Delaware co. This place, called Upland until 1701, is, perhaps, the oldest settlement in the state, having been founded long before the grant of William Penn. It lies on the W. bank of the Delaware River, 94 miles E. S. E. from Harrisburg, and 14 S. W. from Philadelphia. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)
CHESTER, c. h„ p. v., seat of justice of Delaware co.. Pa.. 94 ms. E. S. E. of Harrisburgh; from W. 124 ms. Watered by Delaware river. Pop. 1,667. (Fanning's, 1853)
Place Unit Type
City or Town
Containing Unit
How to Cite This Page: "Chester, PA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/17790.