Fanning's Illustrated Gazetteer of the United States.... (New York: Phelps, Fanning & Co., 1853), 184.
LANCASTER, city, seat of justice of Lancaster co., Pa., is situated 36 miles southeast of Harrisburgh, and 62 miles west of Philadelphia. In 1812, the state government was transferred from this place to Harrisburgh. In the midst of the beautiful and fertile valley of Conestoga creek, it constitutes the centre of an extensive trade with the surrounding region, and a thoroughfare between Philadelphia and the west. This is one of those towns which are interesting for both age and prosperity. Some of its buildings are antiquated; others are modern; but generally all are neat and pleasant. By a series of dams and locks, forming the Conestoga canal, the navigation of the creek has been improved to the Susquehanna, a distance of 18 miles.
The manufacturing establishments are various and flourishing.
The Columbia and Philadelphia railroad communicates with Lancaster, and leads toward Harrisburgh; and here, the Westchester branch diverges toward York.
The population in 1810, was 5,405; in 1820, 6,633; in 1830, 7,704; in 1840, 8,417; in 1850, 8,811.