Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 467.
Woodstock, the county-seat, is 150 miles NW. of Richmond, and 32 SSW. of Winchester, on the Staunton and Winchester macadamized turnpike, and about a mile from the N. fork of the Shenandoah. The town was established in March, 1761. It contains several mercantile stores, 1 newspaper printing-office, an academy, a masonic hall, 1 German Reformed, 1 Lutheran, and 1 Methodist church, and a population of over 1,000.