Back to top

In Nevada, following the Pyramid Lake War, regular troops start a permanent fort on the Carson River

"Protecting the Herd," Frederic Remington, circa 1907
07/20/1860
The Carson Valley Expedition against the Paiute Indians came to a successful end when Captain Joseph Stewart led his regular army troops out of their temporary fortifications near Pyramid Lake to the Carson River.  There, the following week, they started to build a permanent federal installation, naming it Fort Churchill after the Inspector General of the Army, Sylvester Churchill.  The fort was completed in 1861 and abandoned in 1868.  (By John Osborne)
Source Citation: 
Helen S. Carlson, Nevada Place Names: A Geographical Dictionary (Reno, NV: University of Nevada Press, 1974), 77. 

Tabs