Philadelphians gather to cheer a shipment of heavy cannon bound for the defenses of New York Harbor
The loading of heavy cannon and "several tons of shells" aboard a steamship bound for New York City attracted crowds of Philadelphians to the Reading Railroad docks at the foot of Willow Street in the city. The shipment came from a foundry near Pittsburgh and was intended to add to the defenses of New York Harbor by strengthening the Stevens Water Battery there. War excitement clearly was growing as crowds watched and cheered as the weapons were loaded. (By John Osborne)
Thomas Scharf and Thompson Wescott, History of Philadelphia 1609-1884, in three volumes (Philadelphia, PA: L.H. Everts & Co., 1884), 749.