Back to top

Primary tabs

Carlisle Public Square, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, looking north-west, circa 1860, zoomable image

Scanned by: 
Cumberland County Historical Society
Notes: 
Sized, cropped, and adjusted for use here by John Osborne, Dickinson College, January 28, 2011.
Image type: 
photograph
Courtesy of: 
Cumberland County Historical Society, Carlisle, PA
Original caption: 
View of the Carlisle Public Square looking northwest, c. 1860. Major buildings left to right are part of the old Court House, the Washington Hotel (burned April 1861) and First Presbyterian Church with its brick chapel. The steeple of the First Reformed Church on West Louther Street can be seen in the background. The roof in the foreground is part of the old Market House. Photo attributed to Charles Lochman and later copyrighted by A.A. Line.
Source citation: 
Photograph Collection, Cumberland County Historical Society
Source note: 
Photographer:  Charles Lochman, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
The original of this image is held in the Cumberland County Historical Society in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.  Please include this in your citation. Should higher resolution copies be required for any reason, please contact the Photograph Curator directly at the Cumberland County Historical Society or visit their archives.  The House Divided Project at Dickinson College is grateful for the partnership and assistance of the Society. 
How to Cite This Page: "Carlisle Public Square, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, looking north-west, circa 1860, zoomable image," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/35804.