Back to top

Little Rock, Arkansas (Fanning's, 1853)

Gazetteer/Almanac
Fanning's Illustrated Gazetteer of the United States.... (New York: Phelps, Fanning & Co., 1853), 192.
LITTLE ROCK, city, seat of justice of Pulaski co., and capital of the state of Arkansas, is situated on a rock, or bluff, on the south side of Arkansas river, at the head of steamboat navigation, except during high water, when Fort Gibson 1,100 miles further up, may be reached. It is 300 miles by the river from the Mississippi, and 1,065 miles from W. The town is well laid out, and has the usual number of churches and other public buildings, among which may be mentioned the statehouse, courthouse, and penitentary. The population in 1840, was 3,000; in 1850, 4,138.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Little Rock, Arkansas (Fanning's, 1853)," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/35884.