Back to top

In Atlanta, the purpose-built Storrs School for Freedmen is dedicated.

The Storrs School for Freedmen, Atlanta, Georgia, March 1867, artist's impression.
12/08/1866

The purpose-built Storrs School for Freedmen, with room for 250 pupils and the first of its kind in the state of Georgia, was officially dedicated on this day in Atlanta.  The secretary of the American Missionary Association, Reverend E.M. Cravath attended, his body having sanctioned and funded the construction. The Reverend Henry Martyn Storrs and his congregation of the First Orthodox Congregational Church in Cincinnati, Ohio had donated a large portion of the $8000 cost and the school was given his name. (By John Osborne)

Source Citation: 

"Schools For Freedmen," Harper's Weekly Magazine, March 30, 1867, p. 198.
Joe M. Richardson, Christian Reconstruction: The American Missionary Association and Southern Blacks, 1861-1890 (Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 1986), 286n.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "In Atlanta, the purpose-built Storrs School for Freedmen is dedicated.," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/46443.