Back to top

Columbia, PA

Columbia Bridge over the Susquehanna River, Columbia, Pennsylvania, circa 1850

Columbia, Pa., Lancaster co. On the E. bank of the Susquehanna River. 30 miles S. E. from Harrisburg. It is connected with Havre de Grace, at the mouth of the Susquehanna, by a canal, and with Philadelphia by railroad. A bridge here crosses the Susquehanna, a mile and 390 feet in length, resting on stone piers. An aqueduct supplies the place with water for domestic and other purposes. The trade with Philadelphia and Baltimore is large in lumber, coal, iron, &c. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)

COLUMBIA, p. b., West Hampfield township, Lancaster co.. Pa., 30 ms. S. E. of Harrisburgh; from W. 102 ms. Watered by Susquehanna river and Susquehanna canal. Pop. 4,140. (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Columbia, PA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/9193.