Back to top

New Bedford, MA

New Bedford, Massachusetts, 1854
NEW BEDFORD, c. h., p. t., seat of justice together with Taunton of Bristol co., Mass., 58 ms. S. of Boston; from W. 434 ms. The town is built on a bold elevation, contains many fine buildings, and appears with advantage from the harbor. A bridge across the Acushnet leads to Fairhaven, on the opposite side. No other place in the country is engaged so exclusively and extensively in the whaling business as this.... The population in 1810, was 5,631; in 1820, 3,947; in 1830, 7,592; in 1840, 12,087; in 1850, 16,443. (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "New Bedford, MA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/9203.