Back to top

In Philadelphia, the Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon opens

Cooper Volunteer Refreshment Saloon, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, circa February 12, 1862, detail
05/26/1861
The Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon opened on May 26, 1861 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Otsego Street near the Delaware River.  Under the leadership of proprietor William M. Cooper, the Cooper Shop served soldiers moving through the city on the way to and from the front.  The saloon was directed by a committee and sustained by volunteer donations. (By Brenna McKelvey)
How to Cite This Page: "In Philadelphia, the Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon opens," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/32985.