During the Civil War, volunteer refreshment saloons formed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as places of rest for Union soldiers passing through the city. The saloons provided the soldiers with food, drink, and medical care. In a letter to a newspaper editor on December 29, 1861, Dr. C.E. Hill commented on the hospitality of the Cooper Shop Refreshment Saloon President William M. Cooper, head surgeon Dr. Andrew Nebinger, and Lady Principal Anna M. Ross during his stay at the saloon on Otsego Street. Hill described the positive atmosphere created by the committee’s hospitality and claimed, “soldiers were never better cared for than in this hall.” (By Brenna McKelvey)
C.E. Hill to Editor, December 29, 1861, Philadelphia, PA, in James Moore, ed., The History of the Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon (Philadelphia, PA: J.B. Rogers, 1866), 120-123.
Transcription adapted from The History of the Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon (1866), edited by James Moore
Adapted by Brenna McKelvey, Dickinson College