Back to top

In Philadelphia, the Cooper Shop Hospital opens

Cooper Shop Refreshment Saloon, Philadelphia, circa 1862, detail, zoomable image
10/29/1861
On October 29, 1861, the Cooper Shop Hospital opened with Dr. Andrew Nebinger, Jr. appointed as its head surgeon.  Assisted by Ms. Anna M. Ross, the hospital’s Lady Principal, the staff cared for thousands of sick and wounded Union soldiers before closing on August 28, 1865. (By Brenna McKelvey)
How to Cite This Page: "In Philadelphia, the Cooper Shop Hospital opens," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/32987.