Andover, Ms., Essex co. A large town of ten miles square, bounded N. by the Merrimac, and watered by the Shawsheen, which affords many water privileges. There are large villages in the N. and S. parts of the town, some 3 miles distant from each other, and several smaller villages. Most of the soil is arable, and much of it highly cultivated. Among the manufactures are flannels, linen, yarn, and shoe thread. The various literary institutions are its principal attraction. Phillips Academy has now been in existence nearly 70 years. It has ample endowments, convenient buildings, a chemical and philosophical apparatus, which cost over $2000, a valuable library of 700 volumes. From the commencement of its operations to 1845, 4437 individuals have enjoyed its advantages. This institution was incorporated several years before any other academy in New England, and is still deservedly conspicuous among them all. Its funds enable the trustees to secure the permanent services of distinguished teachers, without making any but the most moderate charges for tuition, while large numbers receive their entire tuition free. The Theological Seminary. See Theological Institutes. The Abbot Female Academy. This academy is beautifully located, in the same village with the other literary institutions; it presents the additional attractions of a valuable philosophical apparatus, and cabinet of minerals, and a select library of modern works, together with a beautiful building, and grounds tastefully arranged and adorned. Many of the most valuable publications of the day are issued from the Andover press. Its learned Quarterly, the Bibliotheca Sacra, has a large circulation across the Atlantic.
John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 270.