Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 443.
PULASKI was formed in 1839, from Montgomery and Wythe, and named from Count Pulaski. It is 23 miles long, with a mean width of 18 miles. New River passes through the eastern part, and then, curving to the left, with Little River, divides the county from Montgomery. The face of the country N. and NW. of the C. H., is generally level and adapted to grain and grazing; S. and SE. of the C. H., it is more broken; yet on and near New River it is very fertile and productive in wheat. There is considerable mountain land in the county. Beef cattle are at this time the great staple of the county; but horses, swine, sheep, grain, tobacco, and hemp, could be produced in the greatest abundance. Population in 1840, whites 2,768, slaves 954, free colored 17; total, 3,739.