In Newark, the New Jersey Home for Disabled Soldiers is officially dedicated.
As early as 1862, Governor Marcus Ward of New Jersey had taken an interest in the welfare of the state's Civil War soldiers and had helped institute a military hospital at Newark that became the New Jersey Home for Disabled Soldiers following the war. Built at state expense, it held more than fifty injured veterans when it was formally dedicated on this day at an impressive ceremony. (By John Osborne).
"Dedication of the New Jersey State Hospital," Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, September 22, 1866, p. 12.