De Witt, MO

DE WITT, A post village of Carroll county, Grand River township, on the Missouri River, 16 miles from Carrollton, the county seat, 250 miles from St. Louis, and 100 miles from Jefferson City.  De Witt was first settled by A.M. Apler, and in the year 1844 a post office was established.  The chief products of the township are hemp, wheat and tobacco.  The timber, oak, walnut, ash, &c.  Mineral, coal.  There are two stage lines running from De Witt, viz., to Brunswick 7 miles, and Pleasant Park 4 miles; one daily steamboat line; five churches, viz., one Methodist, one Reformer, one Baptist, one Presbyterian, and one Universalist; one high school, one drug store, five general stores, one steam flouring mill, one hotel, one steam saw mill, and one cigar and tobacco manufactory.  Population 300. (The Missouri State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1860)

Place Unit Type
City or Town
Containing Unit
How to Cite This Page: "De Witt, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, https://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/index.php/node/47984.