Marshall, MO

MARSHALL, The county seat of Saline county, 150 miles north-west of Jefferson City, situated near Salt Fork, a branch of Black River, 315 miles from St. Louis.  It contains seven or eight stores, three church, viz., Reformer, Presbyterian, and Methodist, also two newspaper offices, viz., Marshall Democrat, weekly, John S. Davis, publisher, and the Saline County Herald, weekly, J. Allen, publisher.  The town was first settled in 1839, the surrounding country is rich in mineral resource, among which coal and lead are the leading products.  The chief products of the soil are hemp, corn, wheat, oats and grass. The timber of this region is principally oak, black walnut and hickory.  The average price of uncultivated land is estimated at $10 per acre, and cultivated $15 to $30.  There are several excellent mill sites in the vicinity.  Mineral and salt springs abound in all parts of this country.  Population 250. (The Missouri State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1860)

Place Unit Type
City or Town
Containing Unit
How to Cite This Page: "Marshall, MO," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, https://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/index.php/node/47985.