Columbia, PA

Columbia, Pa., Lancaster co. On the E. bank of the Susquehanna River. 30 miles S. E. from Harrisburg. It is connected with Havre de Grace, at the mouth of the Susquehanna, by a canal, and with Philadelphia by railroad. A bridge here crosses the Susquehanna, a mile and 390 feet in length, resting on stone piers. An aqueduct supplies the place with water for domestic and other purposes. The trade with Philadelphia and Baltimore is large in lumber, coal, iron, &c. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)

COLUMBIA, p. b., West Hampfield township, Lancaster co.. Pa., 30 ms. S. E. of Harrisburgh; from W. 102 ms. Watered by Susquehanna river and Susquehanna canal. Pop. 4,140. (Fanning's, 1853)

Place Unit Type
City or Town
Containing Unit
Name Type
Zion Hill Cemetery, Columbia, PA Location or Site
How to Cite This Page: "Columbia, PA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, https://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/index.php/node/9193.