Lancaster, Sept. 16, 1851

    Source citation
    Anonymous, “Lancaster, Sept. 16, 1831,” Arkansas Whig, October 9, 1851, page 2.
    Author (from)
    Newspaper: Publication
    Arkansas Whig
    Newspaper: Headline
    Lancaster, Sept. 16, 1851
    Newspaper: Page(s)
    Date Certainty
    Joanne Williams
    Transcription date
    The following text is presented here in complete form, as it originally appeared in print. Spelling and typographical errors have been preserved as in the original.
    The all-absorbing topic of conversation here, as well as at Christiana, is the recent murders and riot among the negroes. The excitement is still very great.

    The marines, and most of Marshall Keysor’s police, have returned to Philadelphia, after having scoured the country for miles around Christiana, within the last three days, and making many arrests.

    The people greatly assisted Deputy Marshall Kline, of Philadelphia, who was deputed to act for the United States Commissioner, and who has been indefatigable in his exertions to arrest the rioters and murderers.

    No arrests have bee [been] made since yesterday.

    Two, at least of the murderers are in custody. They are colored men, and have been proven and sworn to as having been conspicuous at the scene of action.

    On Saturday last, a writ of habeas corpus was taken out in behalf of three white men, then in prison, whose names are Castsor, Haneway, and Elijah Lewis. The writ was made returnable before Judge Lewis at 11 o’clock. Accordingly they were brought into Court, when judge Lewis said: “It appears that the prisoners were committed before Alderman Reigart, for a further hearing. I do not think it proper to interfere in the matter between the alderman and the prisoners, and shall therefore leave it in his hands. I will now adjourn court till to-morrow morning.”  

    The Judge then left the bench; and Alderman Reigart took his seat thereon, and proceeded to hear the parties.

    John L. Thompson, Esq., District Attorney, then moved that the case be continued till Tuesday next, at one o’clock, as there were two important witnesses absent in Baltimore, who were present at the scene of murder.

    The Alderman assented to this proposition.

    The District Attorney and Wm. B. Fordner, Esq., appeared for the Commonwealth.--- For the defense, Thaddeus Stevens, G. M. Kline, O.J. Dickey, and Geo. Ford.

    The Court House was crowded to excess--- people from all parts of the country having flocked in to hear the facts.

    A great number of witnesses were in attendance, and the son and brother of the deceased, and Dr. Pierce, were present.

    The most intense interest was manifested, and a general impression prevails that, after the hearing of the prisoners, on Tuesday next, the supposed guilty parties will be handed over to the United States’ authorities, to be tried for treason, together with those already in prison, in Philadelphia.

    The officers are still on the alert for many of the principle participants, and doubtless they will be captured.

    Dickinson Gorsuch is getting better, and is likely to recover. He is still at Christiana.

    Philadelphia, September 16, 1851.
    The prisoners charged with participating in the treasonable outrage at Christiana, confined in our county prison, now number 22. There are, in addition to these, about 12 confined in Lancaster prison, who underwent a partial examination to-day. The examination before Commissioner Ingraham was concluded at 10 o’clock last night. It resulted in the commitment of John Jackson and Thomas Butler, (colored) for high treason.
    How to Cite This Page: "Lancaster, Sept. 16, 1851," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College,