Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 514.
WYTHE was formed in 1790, from Montgomery, and named from George Wythe, an eminent jurist, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence; it is 24 miles long and 20 wide. The greater part of the county is a mountain valley, included between Walker's mountain on the NW. and Iron mountain on the SE. Wythe valley is an elevated table-land, about 2,200 feet above the level of the ocean. The surface is drained, principally, by New River and its tributaries. The soil is good, and peculiarly adapted to the cultivation of grass. Gypsum is advantageously used in agriculture. Wythe is rich in minerals, in iron, lead, and coal. Pop. in 1840, whites 7,632, slaves 1,618, free colored 125; total, 9,375.