Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 172.
ALLEGHANY was formed in 1822, from Bath, Bottetourt, and Monroe. Its mean length is twenty-six, mean breadth twenty miles. Most of this county is a high mountain valley, drained by the head waters of the James. The main Alleghany chain forms its boundary on the west; Peter's mountain and Warm Spring mountain divide the county into two nearly equal parts, having only a narrow gap at Covington, and Middle Mountain and Rich Patch form its southeastern boundary. The passage of Jackson's River through Waite's mountain, is a sublime feature of the natural scenery of the county. Population in 1830, 2,816; 1840, whites 2,142, slaves 547, free colored 60; total, 2,749.