Louisiana militia seize Forts Saint Philip and Jackson at the mouth of the Mississippi River
Fearing rumors that the U.S. Gulf Squadron planned to garrison them, Governor Thomas O. Moore ordered Louisiana militia to occupy Forts Jackson and Saint Philip on either sides of the Mississippi River seventy miles below New Orleans. Saint Philip was empty and Jackson in charge of one soldier, Ordinance Sergeant H. Smith. In the next weeks, both installations were garrisoned. They fell to U.S. Navy units in April 1862. (By John Osborne)
Edwin C. Bearrs, "The Seizure of the Forts and Public Property in Louisiana," in Arthur W. Bergeron, Civil War in Louisiana, Vol. II (Lafayette, LA: University of Louisiana at Lafayette, 2004), 404-405.