In Philadelphia, a new public hospital for contagious diseases is turned over to the Board of Health
The new Municipal Hospital for Contagious Diseases was officially opened on a ten-acre site at Twenty-Second and Lehigh Avenue in Philadelphia was the first dedicated public hospital in the city dedicated to such a purpose. It filled a serious deficiency for the city's Board of Health since previously patients had to be tranferred twelve miles out of the city. It was officially dedicated nine days later. (By John Osborne)
Charles Lawrence, History of the Philadelphia Almshouses and Hospitals... (Philadelphia, PA: Charles Lawrence, 1905), 281.