Newspaper magnate George Childs opens his new Public Ledger Building on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia.
George Childs' newspaper The Public Ledger had outgrown its Philadelphia offices at Third and Chestnut Streets in the city. On this day was opened the impressive new Public Ledger Building on the south-west corner of Sixth and Chestnet Streets. Childs hosted a large celebratory dinner at the Continental Hotal at which hundreds of leading citizens attended. (By John Osborne)
J.Thomas Scharf and Thompson Wescott, History of Philadelphia 1609-1884, in three volumes (Philadelphia, PA: L.H. Everts & Co., 1884), II: 834.