New York Times, “A New York Slaver Arrived at Norfolk,” December 22, 1857

    Source citation
    “A New York Slaver Arrived at Norfolk,” New York Times, December 22, 1857, p. 5: 2.
    Newspaper: Publication
    New york Times
    Newspaper: Headline
    A New York Slaver Arrived at Norfolk
    Newspaper: Page(s)
    Newspaper: Column
    Date Certainty
    Wes McCoy, Dickinson College
    Transcription date
    The following text is presented here in complete form, as true to the original written document as possible. Spelling and other typographical errors have been preserved as in the original.

    A New York Slaver arrived at Norfolk.

    The telegraph announces the arrival at Norfolk, yesterday, of the bark Wm. G. Lewis, in thirty-five days from the coast of Africa as a prize – she having been captured as a slaver in the Congo River, by Lieuts. WALKER and CUMMINS of the United States sloop-of-war Dale. Deducting a reasonable time after her seizure to prepare for the homeward voyage, and the time consumed on the passage, the arrest must have occurred as early as November. The brig Windward, supposed to be a slaver, has also been captured, and will arrive at Norfolk in a few days.

    The bark William G. Lewis cleared for Loando and a market on Saturday, and attempted to leave the port of New-York on Monday, the 13th, but being suspected, she was narrowly watched, and boarded after she had passed the Narrows, by Captain FAUNCE, of the cutter Washington, with Deputy Marshall O’KEEFE, who brought her back in custody, and anchored her under the guns of the cutter in Buttermilk Channel. She is a fine clipper bark of 260 tons, equipped in the best manner, her spars, sails and rigging being in perfect order. She was heavily sparred for a vessel of her tonnage, and evidently a fast sailor. She was owned, or at least fitted out, by Mr. WENBERG, (of WENBERG & WEEKS,) who, at that time, also claimed to own, or to have chartered, the bark Panchita, which had just arrived, in charge of Lieut. ODEVAINE, from the Coast of Africa, where she had been seized as a slaver. On Wednesday following the seizure of the W.G. Lewis, Assistant United States District-Attorney JOACHIMSSEN, with United States Marshall RYNDERS, went on board, and made an inspection of the vessel and her crew. Some trunks and charts were sent ashore, among them one for which there was no claimant, but which the Captain asserted belonged to a passenger that was not on board.

    She was detained five days in the custody of the Marshall, and then permitted to depart. It was then rumored, upon pretty good authority, that this vessel had already landed one cargo of slaves, at least, in Cuba during the year. The seizure of this vessel verifies the suspicions entertained concerning her. The grounds for her release were not stated at the time. She was in command of Capt. J. FREDEL, formerly a Sandy Hook pilot; the mate was WILLIAM R. CURTIS, of New York. Her crew consisted of 12 persons, mostly foreigners.

    How to Cite This Page: "New York Times, “A New York Slaver Arrived at Norfolk,” December 22, 1857," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College,