New York Clearing House Association founded in New York City
In the summer of 1853, thirty-eight banks organized an exchange that had opened at 14 Wall Street that October. This became the New York Clearing House Association on this day when a charter drawn up by George Curtis was adopted. (By John Osborne)
Joseph Nathan Kane, ed., Famous First Facts (New York: H.W. Wilson Company, 1981), 94.