Back to top

Burlington, IA

Burlington, Iowa, 1861, artist's impression

BURLINGTON, p. v., formerly the capital, and the largest town in Iowa, and the seat of justice of Des Moines county, occupies a pleasant slope on the west bank of the Mississippi, 75 miles southeast of Iowa city, 248 ms. N. of St. Louis, 1,429 ms. N. of New Orleans, and 871 ms. from W.  Pleasant hills and woody slopes rise behind the city, and enhance the effect of its other advantages. It is the centre of an active, extended, and increasing commerce with the rich interior of the state, together with that of Illinois, and the valley of the Mississippi.  Possessing a combination of so many favorable circumstances, it has already received a vigorous impulse, and will undoubtedly advance with accelerated growth.  Its broad and delightful streets, either along the water, or on higher ground, are admirably suited for business, as well as for residence, and the number of public buildings, elegant stores, and dwellings, is already large, and receives almost daily accessions. A steam-ferry connects the town with the opposite side of the river.  Pop. in 1840, 4,300, in 1850, 4081.  (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Burlington, IA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/14611.