Back to top

Augusta, GA

Augusta, Georgia, 1861, artist's impression

AUGUSTA CITY, seat of justice of Richmond co., Ga., is situated on the west side of the Savannah river, 96 miles east-northeast of Milledgeville, and 125 from Savannah. The streets cross each other at right angles, and are lined with beautiful shade-trees, giving the city a fine appearance. The public and many of the private buildincs are costly and elegant. It is connected with Charleston, Savannah, and the interior of the states of Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee, by railroads, and is a place of much commercial enterprise. Pop. in 1630 was 4,634; in 1840, 6,436; in 1850, ----. (Fannings, 1853) 

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Augusta, GA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/14904.