Back to top

Avoyelles Parish, LA

Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana, 1857
AVOYELLES PARISH, situated on the west side of the Mississippi, and watered by Atchafalaya and Red rivers. Area, 1,080 square miles. The portion bordering on the streams is subject to inundation, but the westerly part is a slightly-elevated table-land, which is dry and fertile. Courts are held at Marksville. Pop. in 1830, 3,484 ; in 1840, 6,616 ; in 1850, 9,326. (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Avoyelles Parish, LA," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/15290.