Back to top

Columbia, SC

South Carolina College, Columbia, South Carolina, 1820

Columbia, S. C. City, capital of the state, and seat of justice of Richland co. 73 miles N. E. from Augusta, and 120 miles N. N. W. from Charleston.  Situated on the E. side of the Congaree River, immediately below the confluence of the Broad and Saluda Rivers, which unite to form the Congaree.  The city stands upon an elevated plain, about a mile back from the river, from which there is a handsome and extensive prospect in all directions. (Gazetteer of the United States of America, 1854)

COLUMBIA, p. v., seat of justice of Richland district, and capital of S. C, a pleasant village, situated on the east side of Congaree nver, below the confluence of its constituents, the Broad and the Saluda, 120 miles northwest of Charleston, and 506 miles from Washington. The bunk of the river gradually ascends to an elevation of about 200 feet, from which the town overlooks an extensive and interesting prospect. The streets are remarkable for breadth and regularity, and the houses for their neat and tasteful appearance. Here is located the College of South Carolina, a flourishing institution, which is liberally supported by the state. A substantial and well-built bridge extends on eight stone piers across the Congaree, and the Saluda canal, making a circuit of six and a quarter miles around the fulls, passes through the town. The river affords steamboat communication with the ocean and with Charleston. The Columbia branch railroad meets the South Carolina railroad from Charleston, at Branchville.Water from springs 1 mile from the town, is forcedby steam to an elevated point, whence it is conveyed to all sections of the village. (Fanning's, 1853)​

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Columbia, SC," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/15389.