Back to top

Concord, NH

Concord, New Hampshire, 1861, artist's impression

CONCORD, city, seat of justice of Merrimac co., and capital of N. H., is situated on both rides of Merrimac river, 65 ms. N. W. of Boston; from W. 475 ms. Four substantial bridges connect the principal part of the town with the east side of the river, and the Contoocook, flowing through its northwest corner, at its confluence with the Merrimac, forms Dustan island, so named after Mrs. Dustan, famed in heroic Indian history. Its central position, the well-cultivated and productive surrounding region, and the communication by railroad with Boston, Portsmouth, and the interior, contribute to Concord a steady growth and prosperity. The statehouse, built of white granite, taken from the neighboring quarries, is a fine structure in the centre of the town, 126 feet long, 49 feet wide, with projections of four feet on each front, surmounted by a fine cupola. Here also is the state prison, constructed of the same kind of material. The population in 1775, was 1,052; in 1790, 1,747; in 1800, 2.052; in 1810, 2,393; in 1820, 2.838; in 1830, 3,727; in 1840, 4,897; in 1850, 8,576. (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Concord, NH," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/16188.