Fanning's Illustrated Gazetteer of the United States.... (New York: Phelps, Fanning & Co., 1853), 107.
DOVER, Dover Hundred, the capital of Del., and seat of justice of Kent co., is a borough on Jones' creek, 10 ms from its entrance into Delaware bay, 50 ms s. of Wilmington; from W. 120 ms. It is built on four principal streets, which, intersecting, form a square in the centre of the town. Here is an elegant statehouse, and several churches, banks, and other public buildings, are in the vicinity. The buildings are neat, and generally of brick. It contains a monument erected to the memory of Col. John Haslett, who fell at the battle of Princeton, in 1777. The population, in 1810, was about 900; in 1820, 600; in 1830, 1,300; in 1840, 3,790; in 1850, 4,207.