Back to top

Chillicothe, OH

Ross County, Ohio, 1857

CHILLICOTHE, p. t., seat of justice of Ross co.. O., and formerly capital of the state, is situated on the west bank of the Scioto river, 45 ms. S. of Columbus, and 93 E. N. E. from Cincinnati; from W. 405 ms. The Scioto washes its northern limit, and Paint creek its southern, here three-fourths of a mile apart. The principal streets follow the course of the river, and these are crossed by others at right angles, extending from the river to the creek. The two main streets, which cross each other at right angles at the centre of the township, are ninety feet wide. Water street, which fronts the river, is eighty-two and a half feet wide; the other streets are sixty-six feet wide. A number of ancient mounds formerly stood in the town and its vicinity. The Ohio canal passes through the place. Pop. in 1830, 2,846; in 1840, 3,977; in 1850, 7,100.  (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Chillicothe, OH," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/17456.