Back to top

Carlisle, Pennsylvania (Hayward)

Gazetteer/Almanac

John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 317.

Carlisle, Pa., c. h. Cumberland co. 15 miles W. by S. from Harrisburg, on the Cumberland Valley Railroad, which extends from Harrisburg through this place to Chambersburg. It is regularly laid out, with a spacious public square in the "centre, and wide streets crossing each other at right angles. It is well built, mostly with brick and stone. It has 9 or 10 churches. Dickinson College is located here, and its buildings occupy a commanding situation in the W. part of the village. (See Colleges.) About half a mile from the village are the United States barracks, built in 1777, chiefly by the Hessians captured at Trenton. The government have established a cavalry school here. About 4 miles N. are the Carlisle Springs, at which there are good accommodations for visitors. The locality is retired, and surrounded with the beautiful scenery of the Blue Mountain.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Carlisle, Pennsylvania (Hayward)," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/17884.