Back to top

Columbus, MS

Lowndes County, Mississippi, 1857

COLUMBUS, city, seat of justice of Lowndes co., Miss., 141 ms. N. E. of Jackson ; from W. 855 ms.; situated at the head of steamboat navigation, on the east bank of Tombigbee river, is an important and growing city. Like the other flourishing towns of Mississippi, it is an extensive market for cotton, which finds its way from this point down the Tombigbee to Mobile, and thence to various foreign and domestic ports. The city is well had out on an elevation, about 120 feet above the level of the Tombigbee. An elegant bridge spans this stream, and some of the public buildings are beautiful and imposing. The population in 1840, was 4,000; in 1850, 9,611.  (Fanning's, 1853)

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Columbus, MS," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/19648.