Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 350.
LANCASTER was formed in 1652. It lies on the N. side of the Rappahannock, at its mouth, and is 24 miles long, with a mean breadth of 8 miles. Pop. in 1840, whites 1,903, slaves 2,478, free colored 247; total, 4,628.
Lancaster C. H., situated near the centre of the county, 83 miles NE. of Richmond, contains a population of about 100. Kilmarnock is a small village on a creek putting up from Chesapeake Bay. Pain's Cross Roads, in the SE. part of the county, was, 20 years since, a place of considerable trade; but at present it has a few dwellings only.