Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 351.
LEWIS was formed in 1816, from Harrison, and named in honor of Col. Charles Lewis, who fell at the battle of Point Pleasant. It is 60 miles long, with a mean width of about 20 miles. It is watered by the Little Kanawha and west fork of Monongahela; the surface is rocky, hilly, and in some parts mountainous: on the streams there is considerable fertile land. Stone-coal of an excellent quality abounds in some parts of the county. In 1843, portions of its territory were set off to the new counties of Barbour and Ritchie. Large quantities of sugar, and some tobacco, are raised in this county; the greatest staple is Indian corn. Pop. in 1840, whites 7,989, slaves 124, free colored 38 ; total, 8,151.