Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 283.
GOOCHLAND was formed in 1727, from Henrico, and named from a colonial governor of Virginia. It lies on the north side of James River, and is 30 miles long, with an average width of 10 miles. The surface is undulating, and in some places broken; the soil is various, and much of it exhausted, though naturally good; that on the James is of great fertility. It is drained by several small streams, several of which afford water-power.
The county produces large crops of tobacco, corn, and oats. Bituminous coal of an excellent quality is extensively mined, and also small quantities of gold. Pop., whites 3,570, slaves 5,500, free colored 690; total 9,760.
There are no villages in the county of any note. The Court- House, which is 30 miles west of Richmond, and 1 mile N. of James River, contains a few dwellings only.