Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 284.
Frankfort, 10 miles NE. of Lewisburg, contains a Methodist church and about 50 dwellings. In March, 1659, Col. John Stuart, Robert McClenachan, Thomas Renick, and Wm. Hamilton, settled here. They, as well as all those that immediately followed, were from Augusta county. This was the first permanent settlement in the county.