Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 172.
Covington, the county-seat, lies one hundred and ninety-six miles west of Richmond, at the head of the James River navigation, on Jackson's River, fifteen above its confluence with the Cow-Pasture, both of which by their union constitute the James. It contains, at present, about fifty dwellings. At some future period, it is contemplated that the James River Canal will be continued to here; in which case, it will be the depot between the land and water communication in the chain of the James River and Kanawha improvements, and will then command the trade of a large and fertile region of country. Near Covington, a fort, called Fort Young, was built in the early settlement of the country, as a protection against the Indians.