Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 487.
SUSSEX was formed in 1754, from Surry: it is about 32 miles long, and 18 wide. The rail-road from Petersburg to Weldon, N. C., runs through a portion of it on the west. The Nottoway runs centrally through it, and the Blackwater forms a part of its NE. boundary. About 500,000 pounds of cotton are annually produced in the county. Pop. in 1840, whites 3,584, slaves 6,384, free colored 811; total, 11,229.
The C. H. is situated near the centre of the county, 48 miles SSE. of Richmond.