Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 486.
SURRY was formed in 1652: it measures each way about 18 miles. The James runs on its northern, and the Blackwater River on a portion of its southern line. Pop. in 1840, whites 2,557, slaves 2,853, free colored 1,070; total, 6,480.
The C.H. is situated 5 miles S. of James River, and 55 southeasterly from Richmond. There is in this county, on or near the James, an antique mansion, called “BACON’S CASTLE,” supposed by some to have been once fortified by Nathaniel Bacon, the leader of “the Rebellion” in 1676. On what ground this supposition rests, we have been unable to ascertain.