Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Virginia… (Charleston, SC: William R. Babcock, 1852), 463.
RICHMOND was created in 1692, when the old county of Rappahannock was extinguished, and Essex, with this county, made from it. It is 30 miles long, with an average breadth of 7 miles. The Rappahannock forms its southwestern boundary. Pop. in 1840, whites 3,092, slaves 2,363, free colored 510; total 5,963.
Richmond C. H. is centrally situated in the county, 56 miles NE. of Richmond. It is a small village containing only about a dozen dwellings.