John Hayward, Gazetteer of the United States of America… (Philadelphia: James L. Gihon, 1854), 640.
York, Pa., c. h. York co. Situated on both sides of Codorus Creek. The village is laid out on a plain, with streets at right angles to each other, and contains the county buildings, jail, academy, and almshouse. 21 miles S. W. by W. from Lancaster, and 11 nearly W. from Columbia, on the Susquehanna. It is connected by railroad with Baltimore and Philadelphia.