Back to top

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (Fanning's, 1853)

Gazetteer/Almanac
Fanning's Illustrated Gazetteer of the United States.... (New York: Phelps, Fanning & Co., 1853), 150.
HARRISBURGH, the seat of justice of Dauphin co., and capital of Pa., is situated on the east bank of Susquehanna river, 97 miles northwest of Philadelphia, and 110 miles from Washington. It is a borough, built on rising ground, which subsides toward Paxton creek into a plain. From the elevation upon which the Statehouse stands, appears a wide and varied prospect of hills, fertile vales, and winding streams. Across the Susquehanna and the island which here divides it, extends the Harrisburgh bridge, nearly a mile in length, and not far below, the bridge of the Cumberland Valley railroad. The channels of communication, the Pennsylvania lines of railroad and canal, besides a way to the remote part of the state, convey to Harrisburgh the products of the neighboring fertile region, of which it is a profitable market. The Susquehanna, with its large volume of water, is not navigable, except for timber rafts, which can only descend with its swift current.

The capitol is an imposing structure, consisting of a main building and two wings, each adorned with a portico and Ionic pillars. The central edifice is 180 feet wide, 80 feet deep, and 108 feet from the ground to the top of the dome. The whole is surrounded by an open space, adorned with trees, walks, and an iron-railing. The other prominent buildings, are a Masonic-hall, two banks, a prison, and 11 number of churches.

By the Mount Airy water-works, water is elevated from the Susquehanna into a reservoir, on a hill above the borough, and thence is distributed through iron pipes.

Manufactures, to a considerable extent, are produced in Harrisburgh, and the town is gradually increasing in population and wealth.

The population in 1810, was 2,287; in 1820, 2,990; in 1830, 4,311; in 1840, 6,020; in 1850. 8,173.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (Fanning's, 1853)," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/28657.