Back to top

In California, Nevai Shalom, the second Jewish cemetery in San Francisco, is dedicated

San Francisco, California, circa 1860, from the south west
07/25/1860
The ten acre Nevai Shalom Cemetery was dedicated as the second Jewish Cemetery in San Francisco, California on grounds in what is now Mission Dolores Park.  The Hebrew Cemetery, the first, had opened in 1850 in Pacific Heights but had moved in April, 1860, also to the Dolores Park.   The Nevai Shalom held around three hundred graves when it closed in 1888 and relocated to Colma, in San Mateo County.  (By John Osborne)
Source Citation: 
"Dedication of the New Jewish Cemetery," (San Francisco) Daily Alta Californian, July 26, 1860.

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "In California, Nevai Shalom, the second Jewish cemetery in San Francisco, is dedicated," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/32444.