In Ohio, the city of Cleveland honors Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry with a marble statue
On the forty-seventh anniversary of the Battle of Lake Erie, Cleveland, Ohio became the first American city to honor Commodore Oliver Ha, Perry with a statue. The marble statue was the work of William Walcutt, who performed the unveiling on a day of celebration in the city with governor and other officials in attendance. The orator and historian George Bancroft gave the dedication speech. Over the years the marble figure deteriorated and was replaced with a bronze likeness. (By John Osborne)
Cleveland (Ohio) City Council, Inauguration of the Perry Statue: at Cleveland, on the tenth of September, 1860; including the addresses and other proceedings ... (Cleveland, OH: Fairbanks, Benedict & Co.,1861), 38.