Back to top

Army builds new fort in New Mexico

"Protecting the Herd," Frederic Remington, circa 1907
09/16/1860
Major Isaac Lynde, 7th U.S. Infantry, established a small fort four miles south of the present town of Hurley in New Mexico to support operations against  the Apache and Navajo.  He called it Camp Floyd, for the Secretary of War, but following Floyd's resignation, the post was renamed Fort McLane after an officer killed by the Navajo in October 1860.  The post was permanently abandoned on July 3, 1861. (By John Osborne)
Source Citation: 
Robert Hixson Julyan,The Place Names of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press, 1996), 135. 

Tabs

How to Cite This Page: "Army builds new fort in New Mexico," House Divided: The Civil War Research Engine at Dickinson College, http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/33915.