Market House, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1878

Market House, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1878
Scanned by
  Cumberland County Historical Society
Notes
 
Sized, cropped, and adjusted for use here by John Osborne, Dickinson College, January 28, 2011.
Image type
  photograph
Courtesy of
  Cumberland County Historical Society, Carlisle, PA
Original caption
  Market sheds on the square, early 1878. This photo was taken the day the demolition of the sheds began. This market house was built in 1837. It was described as an elongated pagoda with an "L" wing. The butchers occupied the center aisles, the country people the side isles and curb stands, the fish men the open quadrangle. It was demolished in 1878 because it wasconsidered outdated, too small, and an "old Noah's Ark ... an eyesore in the otherwise prettiest part of the town." Photo attributed to A.A. Line.
Source citation: 
Photograph Collection, Cumberland County Historical Society
Source note
 
Photographer:  A.A. Line, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
The original of this image is held in the Cumberland County Historical Society in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.  Please include this in your citation. Should higher resolution copies be required for any reason, please contact the Photograph Curator directly at the Cumberland County Historical Society or visit their archives.  The House Divided Project at Dickinson College is grateful for the partnership and assistance of the Society.